Hey, it’s our house!
Our house is a Weyerhaeuser model 5127
Sorry for the long-time radio silence here. Having a kid has eaten our lives and left us with very, very little time to do any home improvement projects. EVERYTHING IS AT A STANDSTILL, AND IT SUCKS! That to-do list below? The only additional things we completed were getting the silver maple evaluated (it doesn’t have to come down yet, but it will within the next 5 years), having a garage sale (it was good), and revamp the look of the blog (which I hate more than before I did it). Everything else is still languishing. UGH. The arched doorways? Not done. The patio cleared? Nope. Comprehensive plan? Not even.
However! We have some cool stuff in the works, as we’ve decided that 2014 is THE YEAR OF THE YARD! Our yard is in pretty dire straits, but at least we’re working with a blank canvas, right? RIGHT? I guess. I’ve been working on gathering ideas together into a Pinterest board (I know, totes lame), and just today came across the image above. It’s our house’s original plan, holy crap! Thanks to Mid Century Home Style for serving up old plans! The only changes include the little wall making the front entry into a vestibule being removed, leaving it open to the living/dining area, and the fact that a former owner in the 60s added on a kitchen, making the old kitchen into a little dining nook area. Otherwise, that’s it! We found footings in front of our front windows that we had wondered might have been an extension of the existing front porch, but according to the picture above, it was actually a planter! We might have to bring that back.
So, stay tuned for more posts about plans and progress pictures! And maybe I’ll actually get around to putting together the posts on my to-do list below. Someday!
Summer To-Do List
This house blog is so, so sadly neglected. I want to remedy that! We’ve had some cool stuff going on in our house, and we’ve got even more cool shit in the works, so we might as well detail it, right? Right.
House To-Do List
Revamp the look of the blog. It’s stale!
- Work on developing a comprehensive strategic plan for our house, with outside (possibly professional) help.
- Once the plan is done, work on revamping “The List“
- Have the silver maple in the backyard evaluated to see if it needs to be cut down
- Finish arched doorways in living room
- Clean up the back patio and move the bricks (but first, figure out where to move the bricks to)
- CAN ALL THE THINGS
- Have a garage sale/purge everything possible
- Make a good list of easy meals that aren’t made of crap
- Complete radon remediation
Blog posts to bring everything up to date
- Hardwood floors! (they’re glorious)
- The long-awaited garage update
- Area rugs!
- Updated kitchen post
- Future kitchen plans
- Garden plans/progress
- Strategic plan!
I’ve also got a running list over on my personal blog. What’s on your list this summer?
Menu List #1
First half of the month menu tiiiiime! I slaved over this thing, you guys, so bask in its glory.
- Roasted spaghetti squash with mushrooms, with garlic bread on the side
- Hot dogs and baked beans!
- Thai curry, loosely following this recipe, but with frozen veggies
- Burgers and Brussels sprouts
- Meatloaf and mashed potatoes
- Fettucini with Balsalmic Delicata Squash & Bitter Greens
- Italian bread pizza
Take a loaf of Italian bread, cut it in half lengthwise, spread with sauce, add toppings and cheese, pop in a 350* oven for 10 minutes. PIZZA!
- Grilled apple and cheese sandwiches and side salad
One of our local restaurants (Red’s Alehouse) makes this with brie, mozzarella, slices of Granny Smith apples, caramelized onions, and arugula. I am determined to recreate it.
- Spaghetti with Swiss Chard and garlic chips
- Quinoa salad
- Breakfast at dinner
We usually do some variation on the egg+toast+breakfast potato theme
Tortillas, spiced black beans with diced chiles, avocado, sour cream, cheese, onions, tomatoes, PERFECT.
- Ravioli and sauce with salad
We’ve got some leftover refrigerated stuff from Costco that rocks my socks.
We’ll be making this dish vegetarian by using Soyrizo and some grilled chicken things, and using veggie stock. Yum!
We already ate Dish #13 last night, when we decided to wait until today to go to the grocery store. OOPS. Oh well, it was delicious.